Dr. Ron Holten has been teaching driver education since 1975 in the classroom and behind-the-wheel. He has taught in Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, and North Dakota, both in public schools and privately. He is licensed by the North Dakota Department of Transportation to teach behind-the-wheel instruction and has instructed students from ages 14 to 83.
The Driver Ed Car
The driver education car that you will drive is a 2016 Toyota Camry that has been inspected by the ND Department of Transportation. This car is equipped with some unique safety features:
- Instructor brake (required by the ND DOT)
- Instructor mirror (required by the ND DOT)
- Back-up camera
- DRL – LED Daytime Running Lights
- AHB – Auto High Beams detects nearby light sources such as the headlights or tail lights of vehicles ahead. The system automatically switches between high beams and low beams to ensure optimum nighttime visibility. This also helps vehicles detect pedestrians at night from further away.
- LDA – Lane Departure Assistance. If an inadvertent lane departure is detected, the Lane Departure Alert issues an audible warning and displays a warning on the instrument panel.
DRCC – Dynamic Radar Cruise Control that automatically adjusts vehicle speed to help maintain distance between you and the vehicle traveling in front of you.
BSM – Blind Spot Monitor. When the available Blind Spot Monitor detects a vehicle, it illuminates a warning indicator on the appropriate sideview mirrorto help you know when it’s safe to change lanes.
RCTA – Rear Cross-Traffic Alert works in much the same way. When you slowly back out of a driveway or parking spot, it provides audible and visual indicators to alert you of approaching vehicles.
PCS – Pre-Collision System. Camry’s Pre-Collision System works with the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control system to determine if a frontal collision is imminent. If so, under certain conditions, the system automatically applies the brakes.
Safety Connect®. Emergency assistance is always within reach. Via Toyota’s 24/7 call center, Safety Connect® helpful features include Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance and Automatic Collision Notification.
Ten Airbags – Camry has ten standard airbags, including a driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mountedside airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags.
- Dash cams – One located on the front window to record driving in front of the vehicle and a second one on the back window to monitor in-car activity and conversation.